Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Almost One

Caleb turns one in just two days. I can't believe the first year is almost over. It's been a whirlwind, full of lots of highs and some really low lows.

I find myself thinking back to those last few days of my pregnancy, my water breaking. There was such a nervous excitement in the air. We couldn't believe we were about to meet our son.

Then, after just 10 hours, we met Caleb. He came out screaming, which was really indicative of his personality. That first day was amazing but strange. It seemed so surreal that I had a baby.


After just two days, pure joy and excitement gave way to a terror and helplessness I have never known. Caleb was so sick, and we were not sure we'd get to take him home, much less celebrate his first birthday.


As you all know, our strong boy pulled through. Since that wonderful night he was born, Caleb has undergone three surgeries, two minor and obviously the big transplant surgery. We have dealt, and are still dealing, with G Tube issues.

I think about all we have been through medically, but then I wonder, why are those the things I think of when I look back. Those were big things, but they weren't everything.

In the past year, we have seen Caleb's beautiful smile almost every day since he was about two months old. We get to hear his amazing laughter and watch him soak in the world around him with a look of wonder or deep concentration. We watch him learn while he plays or looks at things, and, on rare occasions, we get to just sit and cuddle with him. We get the opportunity to walk into his view and see his face light up.


His first year has not been like most first years, but it so many ways it has been. He has grown, learned and played. He has brought us the joy that any baby brings to their parents each day of his life.

On his birthday, I don't want to remember just the big things we have been through, but of all the small joys that we have been blessed to experience every day.


1 Samuel 1:27
For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of him

No comments:

Post a Comment