Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

New Baby Smell

I've always heard that new babies smell so good. I don't remember that smell on Caleb. I know he smelled like a new baby for those first couple of days, but I can't remember that smell.

When we finally got home after that first stint in the hospital, the way Caleb smelled was the furthest thing from my mind. I knew he didn't have the "new baby smell." Instead, he smelled of his special formula that has been described as smelling like powdered cheese or rotten potatoes. It wasn't a strong smell, until he spit up, but it was there.

"I can smell that Bufenyl," one of his doctor's said as soon as he walked into our room during an appointment last December.

This made me sad. I knew I could smell that awful formula on him, but I had no idea other people could smell his medications. John often described the Bufenyl as smelling like raw fish, and it did smell horrible.

I remember feeling down about it because I hated the thought of my baby smelling so bad. Between the spit up, formula and medication I knew he couldn't smell very good to other people. I, however, was used to his smell and didn't notice it, and I thought that made it even worse. I knew, then, that he smelled, but I couldn't do anything to change it.

This morning, I could smell Caleb's sweet fragrance. It wasn't a smell of gross formula or stinky medicine, but a comforting, pleasant scent. I doubt he smells like a new baby, being almost a year old, but it is the closest thing I've come to experiencing that smell on him.

Five months ago, he smelled like a formula baby on horribly smelly medication. Now, he smells like a normal baby. And I can't get enough of it.


Psalm 103:1-5
Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits, who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

1 comment: